Coca-Cola Beverages Africa acquires share in Eswatini bottler

Share on linkedin
Share on facebook
Share on twitter

 

MATSAPHA, 26 August 2019 – Coca-Cola Beverages Africa (CCBA) has announced that it has acquired a 60 percent share in the soft drinks business of Eswatini Beverages Limited. The deal was signed on 5 October 2018, and all the necessary regulatory approvals have been obtained. The remaining 40 percent of ECCB is owned by Tibiyo Taka Ngwane. The non-alcoholic, ready to drink business in Eswatini will be referred to as Eswatini Coca-Cola Beverages (ECCB) and will operate as a subsidiary of CCBA.

Sanele Khumalo, Country Manager of ECCB, says that every effort will be made to minimise any disruption to customers. She notes that ECCB has appointed Logico Unlimited as the official distributor of all Coca-Cola products in Eswatini. Logico will also be responsible for collection of monies owed, while ECCB will be responsible for the negotiations of trading terms and relationships with customers.

“Eswatini customers will benefit from being part of a consolidated, successful Coca-Cola ecosystem that spans the continent, creating new opportunities for everyone across the value chain,” Ms Khumalo says. “Access to shared best practices will enhance efficiencies and a better distribution capability will provide pervasive availability of cold beverages to end-customers,” she says. “We will also be able to respond to consumer demand more quickly.”

CCBA is the 8th largest Coca-Cola bottling partner in the world by revenue, and the largest on the continent. It accounts for 40 percent of all Coca-Cola products sold in Africa by volume.

CCBA’s African footprint now encompasses South Africa, Ghana, Ethiopia, Uganda, Kenya, Tanzania, Namibia, Mozambique, Comoros, Mayotte, Zambia, Botswana and now Eswatini. The group employs more than 16 000 people directly, almost half of them in South Africa.

“Expanding our African footprint brings huge benefits to local consumers and businesses. By leveraging scale, we can do more for our customers and also drive our sustainability goals. The creation of ECCB is another milestone in that strategy,” Ms Khumalo concludes.

Ends

Related Press Releases

Earth Day is a reminder to Africa to grow in harmony with the environment

Earth Day poses important questions for the African continent as it seeks to balance the need for sustained economic growth to improve the quality of life of its people, on the one hand, while protecting the environment, on the other. This means balancing the important Ps, namely People, Profit and our Planet - Earth.

More than water

South Africa is one of the most water scarce countries in the world and is prone to droughts. With more than 3 million households without access to clean running water, the shortage crisis is ever-growing and there’s a need for proactive and effective solutions.

Recycling gathers momentum in Africa, growing jobs and small businesses

More and more plastic waste is being diverted from landfills and into a circular economy that grows employment and entrepreneurship in African countries, as we celebrate Global Recycling Day today (March 18).

Africa can conquer the waste problem with partnerships and co-operation

The world’s plastic packaging waste problem can be solved. That is the good news. This, however, will require multi-industry humility and collaboration and not competition, as well as intentional and resolute government intervention to level the playing field and create an enabling circular economy environment.